Skip to content
- 6 – 12 dried red chillies, trimmed and deseeded if preferred
- warm water, for soaking (not supplied)
- 40 g vegetable oil
- 4 – 8 fresh long red chillies, trimmed and deseeded if preferred
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100 g eschalots
- 100 g red onion
- 2 candlenuts (see Tips)
- 5 cm piece fresh turmeric, peeled
- 3 g shrimp paste (see Tips)
- 20 g water (not supplied)
- 1000g chicken whole leg
- 150 g coconut milk
- 6 g salt
- 6 g sugar
- 12 g lime juice
- 6 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- Place dried chillies into a bowl, cover with warm water and set aside to soak for 5 minutes. Using simmering basket, drain chillies and set aside.
- Place oil, fresh chillies, garlic, eschalots, onion, candlenuts, turmeric, shrimp paste, water and drained chillies into mixing bowl, then blend 20 sec/speed 10.
- Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, then sauté 10 min/100°C/speed 2.
- Add chicken, coconut milk, salt and sugar and cook 15 min/Varoma//speed .
- Add lime juice and Kaffir lime leaves, then cook 3-5 min/Varoma//speed or until chicken is cooked through. Allow to stand in mixing bowl for 5 minutes before serving.
Hints & Tips
- You can find candlenuts at most Asian food stores. Otherwise, you can replace them with macadamias.
- You can find shrimp paste (also called belacan) in the international aisle of some major supermarkets and at Asian food stores.