- 200 g fresh coconut milk
- 500 g glutinous rice, rinsed
- 1000 g water
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 dried tamarind pieces (asam keping)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 pandan leaves, tied into knots
- Per 1 portion
- Calories 5041 kJ / 1206 kcal
- Protein 47 g
- Carbohydrates 103 g
- Fat 72 g
- Saturated Fat 57 g
- Fibre 11 g
- Sodium 1209 mg
- Place a bowl mixing bowl lid, weigh in glutinous rice and water. Add ground turmeric, tamarind pieces, salt and pandan leaves to the bowl. Mix and set aside to soak for at least 1 hour or overnight. Drain through Varoma dish and place pandan leaves on top of soaked glutinous rice, making sure that some holes are remain unobstructed. Close Varoma lid and set aside.
- Place a bowl on mixing bowl lid, weigh in 200 g coconut milk. Add 1 tsp salt and sugar to the bowl. Mix and set aside.
- Cook 20 min/Varoma/speed 1 & remove Varoma and set aside. Carefully open Varoma lid, transfer steamed rice to the bowl with coconut milk mixture.
- Cook 45 min/Varoma//speed . Remove Varoma and set aside.
Hints & Tips
- To make your own coconut paste, toast 300 g of grated coconut (fresh or frozen) in a preheated oven (160°C) for 30 minutes until golden brown. Scrape every 15 minutes. Transfer to mixing bowl, grind 30 sec/speed 10 to release oil and become moist. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula. Repeat milling step for 3 times.