Did you know that you can get succulent whole chicken by steaming it in your Varoma dish? Just rub the skin with your Thermomix®️ homemade spice rub (recipe below), stuff with apples, rosemary, onion and steam away for 60-70 mins (depending on size of the chicken) with 1.2-1.5 kg water (depends on the desired amount of gravy).
Once done, brown the chicken in the oven and use the leftover steaming liquid as a soup base, gravy or stock. Steam some veggies together with the chicken, and a meal is prepared in the same amount of time.
The sky is the limit when it comes to cooking using a Thermomix®️. The same technique can be used for Thai-styled chicken with lemongrass, lime, chilli, fish sauce and Thai basil; Provençal-styled chicken with onion, garlic, tomato and oregano.
Roast Chicken Stuffing (goes into the cavity)
- 1 Whole chicken, (1.6 – 1.8kg)
- 1 onion, chopped in half
- 1 apple, cored
- 1 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic
- pinch of salt and grounded black pepper
Spice Rub (prepare before hand)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp tablespoon Ground Chilli or cayenne pepper (adjust spiciness)
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 tsp fresh grounded garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp grounded black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, or 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- olive oil
- 70g AP flour
- 4 TBSP Thermomix chicken stock powder
- Insert stuffing into the cavity of the chicken and place the chicken into the varoma deep dish
- Wipe the chicken dry and brush chicken all over with Olive Oil
- Prepare the spice rub by combining all remaining ingredients and rubbing into the skin of the chicken.
- Place 1.5 litres of water into the Thermomix bowl.
- Place the chicken into the Varoma and place into position.
- Cook the chicken for <70 minutes / Varoma / speed 2*>
- During the last 8-10 minutes, add cut vegetables into the varoma next to the chicken#
- To you prefer to brown and crisp the skin, place the chicken into an oven preheated to 180C and roast for a further 10 minutes
- Otherwise, leave the chicken inside the varoma for another few minutes
- Added flour, stock powder (and oven roast liquid from the chicken if any) and cooked the remaining liquid at <90 degree / 8 min / speed 4>
- Serve with the vegetables and gravy/sauce
# Tip 1: Different vegetables may have different cooking times. Cube cruciferous and roots will cook longer. Pop the roots into the oven together with your chicken if you are crisping the chicken skin in the oven.
*Tip 2: Watch the water level to ensure it does not dry up
To find out more about Thermomix®️ recipes, news and updates, follow our Facebook and Instagram