What’s a good and comforting meal on a rainy day?
You can make hearty and delicious Tom Yum Goong (aka Tom Yam Soup) with Thermomix®! This dish is a burst of many flavours, as it has four of the famous Thai spices – salty, sour, sweet and spicy. A delight for the tastebuds.
Try variations such as chicken, prawns, mushrooms or give it a complete mix of different seafood!
Tom Yum Goong (Tom Yam Soup)
- 30 g olive oil
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 – 2 fresh long red chillies, trimmed, deseeded if preferred and cut into halves
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 cm piece fresh galangal, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1 eschalot, cut into halves
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- ½ tsp shrimp paste (optional – see Tips)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, trimmed, bruised and cut into thirds
- 1000 g water
- 2 tsp Chicken stock paste (see Tips)
- 10 fresh Kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 450 g raw prawns, peeled and deveined, reserving heads and shells
- 230 g fresh mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 70 g cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, leaves only, for garnishing
- Place oil, chilli flakes, chillies and garlic into mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 7.
- Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and heat 4 min/Varoma/speed 2.
- Add galangal, eschalot, tamarind paste and shrimp paste (optional) and chop 10 sec/speed 10. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add fish sauce, lemongrass, water, stock paste, Kaffir lime leaves, lime juice and reserved prawn heads and shells and heat 18 min/100°C/Reverse/speed 2.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain liquid into a jug and discard solids.
- Place prawn meat, mushrooms and strained liquid into mixing bowl and cook 5-8 min/90°C/Reverse/speed 1, or until prawns are just cooked.
- Add tomatoes and cook 2 min/90°C/Reverse/speed 1. Divide between serving bowls and garnish with coriander just before serving.
Hints & Tips
- To make your own Chicken stock paste, refer to the recipe on Cookidoo®.
- You can find shrimp paste (also called belachan) in the international aisle of some major supermarkets and at Asian food stores.
Get the Tom Yum Goong recipe on Cookidoo® https://cookidoo.international/recipes/recipe/en/r150460